Friday, July 20, 2012

Finding Inspiration


When Misha suggested I write a post with the theme, inspired, I knew exactly what I wanted to talk about. Finding inspiration. It’s something all of us struggle with from time to time. Inspiration is so important because it helps move us forward.

It’s something every one of us struggle with from time to time. Life’s difficult and busy and we don’t always have the time to enjoy the good things around us. Occasionally, inspiration will just hit us. But that’s not the norm. Often, it’s the product of hard work or just being in the right place at the right time.

But the truth is, it shouldn’t be that way. Every one of us is surrounded by people and things that have the potential to inspire us each and every day. The world is full of beauty and detail that should thrill and inspire us all the time. Even people in awful circumstances can find happiness and joy in the small, positive things around them. The problem is that we spend so much time stuck in the same places, we often learn to tune out what’s around us.


Sometimes the easiest way to find inspiration is to go somewhere new. Simply taking a short trip or even visiting another city for lunch can open us to all kinds of new experiences, and new inspiration. When we come back home, it’s often even easier to see the good things that were there all along. Plus traveling can open us up to new opportunities and experiences, all with the potential of adding inspiration to our lives. We can learn and grow and become better people because of it.

Even if you don’t have the opportunity to go somewhere, you can still make a conscious effort to try to see the world around you in a different light. Try looking around the room you are in right now. I bet you can find at least three beautiful or inspiring things if you try. Just make an effort to see something worth while. Inspiration is all around us. Sometimes all you have to do is open your eyes and look.

Alyson is the author of the paranormal romance, Nightfire. You can learn more about her at www.alysonburdette.blogspot.com




Thanks so much for this sweet guest post, Alyson! So, ladies and gents, where do you find your inspiration?

Also, do you want to do a GPF this year? The spaces are running out, so if you are interested, please check this out and contact me.

The following dates are still available: 17 August, 31 August, 28 September, 12 October, 19 October and all the Fridays in November.

Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

  1. I'm seeing a new movie today! Hope that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finding inspiration can be hard to do at times, sometimes you gotta "make" it happen. Then all those times when the muse is flowing strikes gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Alyson! I think you truly nailed the biggest thing about inspiration: You most often have to look for it. Spur it. Work for it. So many people think writers are inspired all the time, and that creativity just happens. It doesn't. Sure, there are days when it comes naturally, but that's usually in the form of a single thought or concept. Not in the form of 5,000 words. :)

    As for Misha and her question: Thanks for sharing Alyson! :) Also, I'm with Alex. Movies and TV are a big source for me. As is music. Also really inspired by weather and seasonal changes. I'm about done with summer now, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! Thank you. Inspiration can be a very tricky thing! Mine usually comes when I'm trying to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for hosting me, Misha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Going to a house today that I've never been to before. Will keep this in mind and look for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always pleasantly surprised how my imagination breathes more freely once I escape my everyday routine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find inspiration can strike at the strangest moments! New places and experiences are certainly a good place to start. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true... inspiration doesn't always come easily my way... got to work for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Alyson! Thanks for hosting her, Misha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your thoughts on inspiration - so true! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well said. Inspiration is all around us we just overlook it most of the time. Guess I should start paying more attention.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.