Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oh look! An interruption!

Today was one of those days. You know, where you start with the best of intentions to be productive, only to end up... well... not.

I even woke up an hour early today, but I swear there were time-gremlins in the house.

Of course, I did get other stuff done, like cleaning house, editing a business plan and checking up on financials. The last two were the main time-sucks, but hey, variety is good.

Today I got to give my left brain a stretch... or something like that.

In the mean time, I managed to do a bit of editing to Part 4 and send Part 3 off to a second round of crits. So all things considered, I didn't do too badly edit-wise. On the other hand, it's a crawl compared to what I'm used to.

BUT! I decided to cut down on my computer/editing time, as last week I clocked about 13-16 hour editing days. Which is sort of ridiculous, when one considers that I have more than five months left to finish Doorways. Point is, it isn't healthy.

Maybe today is a good cue for me to kick back a little and finish Persuasion. Yes, I am only on my second Jane Austen book. Yes. Still. What can I say? My characters called open season on regency period ladies and gents... ;-P

What do you do to chill out when your editing/writing revs go into the red?

17 comments:

  1. Mm, Persuasion is one of my favorites of Jane Austen! Hope you enjoy.

    I do different things to get away from the computer. Sometimes I go for a walk, or take my son outside to play. Sometimes I'm so exhausted I just want to watch a movie. A lot of times I read. It's always good to get a little break time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I clean house to think and stew on an idea to fix a problem or read or go walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veg out to Netflix. Chocolate is required. And beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joshua's answer made me laugh!
    I chill with some guitar practice. And a PC game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait...does this mean what do we do in our free time? What is that? :)
    I like to read as well, but since that's my full time job now, I am better with relaxing by watching Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Music... music... music. Either listening, playing piano or singing relaxes me. I always enjoy reading as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit to being the kind of person who sits at her computer and stares at it all day. I need a plan to get me away from it. My husband is good - He'll come in and say; Right, we're going out! And I ge up and go. Sounds pathetic, huh? Bu tI need it. Otherwise I'd sit inside in the dark, choking on dust and fearing the curtains opening :P Anyway - Persuasion: Brilliant. Not my faces - but close :) Enjoy X

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Jane Austen. I read her over and over and over.

    I have deadlines of end of February, which has me almost hyperventilating today. January is almost over. Ahhhh! Panic.

    I usually workout in the afternoon. It's a good break. Clears my head...sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you enjoying Persuasion? It's my favorite JA book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aha Misha,
    Are you sitting comfortably? Good. After multitasking, yes you read correctly, after multitasking, I chill out and check what delightful words you have graced us with. And editing? What's that?
    Have a good day and happy writing to you, in between housework and checking out the "time-gremlins" :)
    Kind wishes, shy, humble and unassuming Gary....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read. :) Or go work on another project . . . there's almost always something else hanging around half-finished. And if not, then I go start and half-finish something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always figure whatever pace my edits go, they'll go that way :) no need to slow down OR speed up from what's happening naturally. but then again, I'm still NOT editing soooo maybe I need to kick myself into speeding up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to listen to music and to watch movies.
    Don't let yourself get into a rut if you can help it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes travelling around town is the best to do for me. But one is always hard pressed for time. Persuasion can be a great thing to chill out with. I've got one more to read for JAJ and two to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you have your hands full but are making the best of it. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get in the bath with a good book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE editing, so this isn't an issue for me. Getting around to clean my house seems to be the bigger problem. I just have a hard time sacrificing my writing time for that. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.