Thursday, December 29, 2011

Back Home


After spending about two thirds of the 27th mourning the loss of my drafts, I decided that the term my self-imposed exile from home was over.

I ran straight to the arms of my beloved characters and immersed myself in the world of my creation.

It was like a balm to my soul.

Sure, the loss hurt, but it could have been so much worse. I could have lost more than I did. As it is, I still have all of my Doorways edits, so that's what I'm going to do until I get over the worst of my pain at losing WiP2.

Now that I'm back with my first love, I almost can't believe how long I've stayed away from it. Even though I enjoy everything else that I write, I miss my characters from Doorways every moment that I'm not with them.

Sad, but true.

Anyway, I feel happier now. More at peace with what happened. Soon I will be able to look at my WiP2 rough draft without thinking of the huge space that looms after it. Then I will be able to start again, excited to know that I will be improving on what I have written.

But right now, Doorways is exactly what I need.

Do you have a story and/or characters that you love more than any others?

Thank you all very much for your sympathy and support! That's what made me able to get back to Doorways so soon.

14 comments:

  1. I'm really glad to hear that you were able to get back to writing--and that it comforted you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good news. It would have been so easy to let yourself be defeated. I'm glad you haven't :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about what happened. You're amazing to be able to get back to it so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing work sucks and it's so disheartening, so well done on throwing yourself back into it. By the way, there's a blog award for you over at my blog: http://angelinetrevena.blogspot.com/2011/12/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are working on Doorways again. And I just noticed your nifty countdown to finish it. Yay!

    The story/characters I love the most come from my Phoenix Trilogy. Then again, they've lived in my head for five years, six next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to hear. Your lost characters will reincarnate too, I am sure.

    I have a fondness for particularly my talking animal characters. I'm trying to prevent my WIP from becoming an animal rights treatise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh No, I'm so sorry to hear you lost that work. I'm not sure I'd b e surfacing yet, I'd be wallowing in a well of self pity and wailing at the stupid technology that made this happen, forgetting how helpful it is in other ways.

    I'm glad to hear you have managed to get yourself to a better place though.

    I'm just about to start the first draft of book two and as it's a series, I'm looking forward to meeting up with the characters again and seeing how they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's that a picture of? Is that a scene in doorways?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really admire your grit and determination. Good things will come to you because of it.

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do have a story like that and it's the best! When I escape there, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Misha,
    Just be kind to yourself. I'm glad to hear you're at peace now. This is when you your new inspiration will flow.
    May 2012 be filled with success in your writing career!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Misha you have excellent taste (that estate is so gorgeous!!). My fingers are crossed that Doorways gets its butt done soon, I want to see it on a bookshelf someday and squee to the entire store I KNOW THAT AUTHOR!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear you're back at the writing again. :)

    I do--much as I love characters when I start a new novel, there's a set that's like an anchor for me. They're what I compare my current characters to and don't mind returning to again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent. Press on.

    I try to create characters that so appeal to me that I can't stand to be away from them for too long. I assume that if I accomplish that, readers will react in the same way.

    We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.